Technicon Design is looking for highly-skilled Clay Modelers to join established Automotive OEMs to work on exciting new transportation initiatives.
Position will work as part of a modeling team to develop 3D full-size and scale automotive models. Responsibilities include: sculpting of automotive clay models to design specifications and direction; leading team of modelers through all phases of projects, ensuring model accuracy and quality,
maintaining project development schedule, applying proper modeling techniques and procedures, and achieving high level surfaces, highlights, finishes and detail work.
- Sculpt finished 3D scale and full size exterior and interior models of proposed corporate products.
- Ability to create new and improve upon existing clay and digital models using templates, points, and other software program data provided
- Proactively assists studio personnel in developing solutions to engineering and design problems
- Aid in design and engineering problem solving.
- Ability to appropriately work in a creative space while working in unison with others independently and together.
- Has wide latitude for independent judgement with only general supervision
- Accurately takes dimensions from model and supply the team with precise measurements
- Puts dimensional information on model for checking or duplication
- Produces finished model to specifications
- Coordinates input from internal and external customer to better understand customer needs and or perceptions
- Keeps abreast of current product developments and trends in areas of expertise.
- Minimum of 4-5 years clay modeling experience in a professional automotive design studio
- College level education in transportation design or fine arts a plus
- Aptitude to translate 2D models to 3D sculptures
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills a must
- Ability to read line drawings, perform basic math calculations, operate shop machinery
- Excellent spatial perception, hand/eye coordination and dexterity
- Ability to stand for long durations of time in addition to stooping, bending and reaching regularly and lifting up to 30lbs.